Friday, May 31, 2013

Rachel's Blog

     Well, where do I begin? This trip has been the most... interesting, or exciting, or moving mission trip I have ever been on. I am a senior this year, and so I had a few expectations of how this trip should go. I expected that I would be leading in some form or fashion, and that I would be a role model for the younger students. Little did I know that it would be the complete opposite. I'm not going to lie, I tried to be a leader whenever possible, whether it was in small groups, or on the work site, or just hanging out. But, as I soon figured out, God didn't want me to be a leader on this trip-- He wanted me to sit back, let others do most of the leading and heavy work, and for me to just listen. See, there's a difference between hearing someone and listening to someone. I learned that a few moments of silence, just listening to the sounds around you, which could include incessant hammering, the laughter and screams of children, or small group prayers, can do you a load of good. I was shown what it means to be kind and humble, especially by my peers. Cameren showed me that even the smallest of jobs can be the most important. Hannah showed me that being goofy and crazy can cure even the worst of moods. Mary showed me what it means to be truly genuine, not only with others but with God. These kids have touched my heart in a way that no one but God can understand. He knew exactly what I needed to learn, and taught me in the strangest, most unique ways-- ways I will never forget. I know that not only have I touched other people's hearts and shined God's light, but that I have been touched as well. I am incredibly thankful that I had the opportunity to come on this trip, because it has been one that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment