Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A New Leader

It has been a few years since my last SPC mission trip and it feels amazing to be back.  For three years in high school I built houses in Mexico, but for my last year we headed off to Iowa City, Iowa.  That trip started a tradition of traveling the United States for mission trips instead of our traditional Mexico trips.  The group has helped with flood clean up, finishing houses, landscaping, etc.  It has been quite some time since we did any big construction projects, so I was a little apprehensive when I saw the size of the sanctuary we were building.  That fear was immediately erased when I saw the students work.  The very first day, we finished all of the support beams for the floor and even started applying the plywood-- work the ARM team thought would take two days to complete.  I couldn't be more proud of these students and how quickly they pick up these skills.  There isn't a second of any day where we have to ask someone to jump in because they are already doing every job possible.

I will say it is a very different experience being a leader instead of a student.  I have a whole new perspective on mission work and youth ministry.  It is such a pleasure getting to know a whole different group of students.

--Maggie Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment